In Kokan, black pomfret (locally knowns as saranga or halwa in Mumbai) is one of the most popular fishes. This is very simple and yet extremely tasty cuisine, made using head of black pomfret.
- One bowl of ~1 inch long fish head pieces (eyes, gills removed), properly washed.
- Two bowls of finely chopped onion
- Half a bowl of freshly grated coconut
- Tamarind juice – two tablespoons
- Malvani masala – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – half teaspoon
- Oil for frying
- Finely chopped coriander
- Heat up oil in a frying pan and shallow fry chopped onion.
- Add salt, masala and turmeric powder.
- Once onion is softened, pour in fish pieces and fry.
- Add tamarind juice, mix it well. Cover the pan with lid and let it cook for three minutes on
- slow flame.
- Once the fish is cooked properly, turn of the burner and mix coconut and coriander in the pan.
- Kalaputi is ready to be served.
- It is generally eaten with chapatti or simple Daal rice.
Recipe by: Maai ....(Please do Rate/Like/Share this recipe.)