Here is the most popular, simple, quick and tasty Malvani prawns curry - (Kolambi Kalvan) recipe: When it comes to Malvani recipes sea food is extremely important part of it. Prawns particularly, are one of the most popular sea food. While there may be wide variety of prawns available in the market, it is advisable to use white or black once rather than the red once which may cause bloated stomach.
- 250 gm prawns (preferably fresh or properly defrosted frozen).
- 2 small potatoes cut in smaller slices
- 3 small onions
- 1 coconut, grated
- 2 tablespoon Malvani garam masala (it is better if you get Malvani masala, but you should be fine with simple mixture of chilli powder, cumin, coriander powder).
- 2 drumsticks, cut into finger length pieces, outer thick skin removed.
- 1 inch ginger
- Four garlic buds
- Turmeric half teaspoon
- Salt and cooking oil (coconut oil is the best)
- Clean and wash prawns thoroughly and remove the black thread from inside. Finely chop one onion and grate (or finely chop) ginger and garlic.
- Chop other two onions vertically and fry them in two tablespoon oil for two minutes.
- Add grated coconut and fry until the mixture turns brownish. It also smells wonderful as onions and coconut get bit roasted. Don’t make it too crispy.
- Let the above mixture cool for two minutes. Then transfer it into mixer jar and add garam masla and turmeric into it. Add some water and grind it finely.
- Heat up a saucepan, add two tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add finely chopped onion. Fry until it is brownish. Add grated ginger and garlic. Fry for two more minutes.
- Combine prawns and coconut mixture together and pour it in the saucepan with some water to obtain requisite consistency.
- After two minutes add thin slices of potatoes and drumsticks pieces. Add salt as per taste and more chilli powder if required. Let the mixture cook for a while and check if the potatoes and drumsticks are properly cooked.
- Once it is ready, it will spread very appetizing smell around the house. Garnish with coriander. Prawns curry is usually served with chapatis or white steamed rice.
Recipe by: Maai ....(Please do Rate/Like/Share this recipe.)