How to make malvani chicken in Marathi
Malvani chicken curry
In this digital information age, we come across numerous websites and videos claiming to illustrate authentic recipes from different parts of the world and ‘Malvani recipes’ are no exception to this. However when they blend cashews in fish curry and tomatoes in chicken, it is just not ‘comprehensible’ to my ‘born, brought up and trained’ malvani palate…. You know what I mean. So, in order to promote and conserve one of the most famous and yet ‘widely mis-demonstrated’ malavani dishes… here is my honest effort to provide you with a recipe that has been taught from one generation to the next in a typical malvani family. The famous ‘Malvani Chicken Curry - Sagoti’
Prefer native breeds of chicken , broiler is not going to yield excellent results.
Do not use lime/lemon/curd to marinate chicken.
Do not use tomatoes
Only use hot boiling water whenever required in the recipe.
Recipe by: Maai
....(Please do Rate/Like/Share this recipe.)
- Chicken - 1 Kg - (It is very important that you use native breed rather than broiler chickens)
- Coconut - 1
- Desiccated coconut grated/powdered - 1 small bowl
- Medium size onions – 6
- Coconut oil – half bowl (about 10-12 tablespoons)
- Malavani garam masala – 6 to 7 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds – 6 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 2 teaspoon
- Black pepper seeds – half teaspoon
- Clove – half teaspoon
- Mace (javitri) – half teaspoon
- Poppy seeds – 2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Star aniseed – 2
- Nutmeg – half
- Green cardamom – 4
- Large black cardamom – 2
- Ginger – 2 inches
- Salt – varies as per the taste
- Click to Buy Malvani Chicken Masala on Amazon.....
- Grate the coconut finely.
- Dice chicken in medium size (~1 inch) pieces, wash thoroughly and drain water completely.
- Grind half teaspoon salt, turmeric, chopped ginger and about 2-3 tablespoon of freshly grated coconut to make fine mixture. Don’t add too much water. Marinate chicken pieces with this mixture.
- Finely chop 3 onions vertically (for gravy) and remaining 3 onions in small cubicle pieces (for frying).
- Shallow fry desiccated coconut along with all the whole spicy ingredients (not the powdered once) in 2-3 tablespoon of oil.
- In another pan shallow fry vertically diced onion along with freshly grated coconut using 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Make sure fried onion is reddish brown.
- In a big saucepan, add remaining oil and deep fry cubically cut onion.
- Uniformly coat chicken pieces using malavani garam masala and half of the mixture of
- desiccate coconut and spices.
- Stir this chicken in fried onions in the saucepan. Fry it thoroughly.
- Add 5-6 bowls (500 ml) of hot water and cover the pan with firm lid.
- Let this mixture cook for 15-20 minutes, with occasional stir.
- Once chicken is cooked add ground mixture of fresh coconut and remaining desiccated coconut-spice mix. Add salt and let it all cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- If you like thinner gravy, add hot water accordingly. You can also add coconut milk instead of water.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander before you serve.
© 2021 Copyright © 2018 malvani.com
Here is How to make Malvani Vade to serve with Malvani Chicken curry (the famous Sagoti – Vade / Kombdi Vade)