Click for Black peas curry recipe in Marathi
Malvani Black peas curry (Usal)
Black peas are probably not one of the most popular peas in the other parts of India, but in Kokan usually they are regular items in the grocery list. In old times spicy curry (OR USAL as it is known in Marathi) was one of the main dishes made during festive times. Even today, many families serve this curry to villagers when they come to sing bhajan during Ganesh festival. It is as delicious and mouth-watering dish as ‘malvani chicken’.
- One bowl of black peas (100 gm)
- One bowl of coconut, freshly grated
- Onions – 2 medium size
- Malvani garam masala – 2 tablespoons
- Garam masala – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – half teaspoon
- Oil – two tablespoons (preferably coconut oil)
- Dry kokam peels – 2
- Soak black peas in sufficient water overnight.
- Cook these peas in pressure cooker until they are soft.
- Shallow fry one onion and all the grated coconut using half tablespoon of oil. Once fried, grind this mixture finely using little volume of water.
- Add a spoonful of boiled peas while grinding the above mixture.
- In a saucepan pour boiled peas and cook further. Add the ground coconut mixture and all the spices. Add salt as per taste. Cook until all the mixture is properly boiled and cooked.
- Take the saucepan off the burner and in another small pan heat up remaining oil and add finely chopped onion. Once the onion is caramelized, pour this oil in the curry.
- Add kokam peels in the hot pot and let it cool for a while.
- If you like you can also add thin slices of coconut and/or fresh cashews.
Recipe by: Maai ....(Please do Rate/Like/Share this recipe.)
Copyright © 2018 malvani.com