Read how to make Malvani Dal-Rice in Marathi
Malvani Daal rice
Fish and rice are the most favourite food items of Malvani people; however simple daal rice in kokani way is also very tasty and regularly made in every kokani household. Sometimes daal bhaat with fried fish is itself a delicacy. Daal is made in different way compared to common daal that you would find outside Kokan. We use coconut even in daal recipe… nothing can be tasty if you don’t use coconut as per a true Kokani food lover. Rice is eaten everyday as it is the only cereal crop that is produced on large scale. Climate and soil of this region are ideal for the paddy crop.
Recipe by: Maai
....(Please do Rate/Like/Share this recipe.)
Ingredients (For Daal)
- 100 gm toor daal.
- 4-5 green chillies cut into small pieces
- About 4-5 tablespoon of grated fresh coconut
- Turmeric, salt, oil
- 1 tablespoon of dried tamarind / 4-5 kokan peels (soaked in water)
- One chopped tomato
- Asafoetida (hing)
- Mustard and cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves and coriander leaves
- क्लिक करा अमेझॉन वर तूर डाळ खरेदी साठी.....
Ingredients (For Rice)
Instructions (For Daal)
- Cook daal along with chillies and tomato in a pressure cooker. It may be helpful to soak daal in water for some time so that it gets cooked quickly. Don’t overcook. You don’t want to make a mashed daal.
- Grind grated coconut long with one teaspoon of turmeric, tamarind (if you are adding kokam, don’t grind it at this stage) with some water.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan. Once hot, add mustard and cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida, curryleaves.
- Once taraka (popping of seeds in hot oil) is done, add cooked daal and ground coconut mixture.
- Add salt as per taste and kokam water if you are using kokam instead of tamarind.
- Bring it to boil, add water if you want it more watery. Keep boiling for couple of minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Instructions (For rice)
- Mix washed rice grains and water in a saucepan and heat it.
- Once it starts boiling reduce the flame.
- Once most of the water is soaked, close the pan with lid, turn of the flame. Let the rice get cooked thoroughly using the steam enclosed.
- If you hit the surface with a ladle, it sounds ‘dub dub’ if it is ready.
- Daal and rice can be eaten either with fried fish or some spicy vegetable or just with papad and pickle.
© 2020 Copyright © 2018 malvani.com